Regular District Election

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 

  • Official Notice of Election

Basic Information

The next regular election of the South Suburban Park and Recreation District is on Tuesday, May 5, 2020. It will be a polling place election, with the option of obtaining an absentee ballot. Two board positions will be filled for three-year terms each.

I didn't receive my ballot. What should I do?
This is a polling place election on May 5. If you requested an absentee ballot, please contact the District at 303.483.7011, or send an email to

Polling Places and Ballot Drop Off Locations

On May 5, the following polling place locations are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Buck Recreation Center (2004 W. Powers Ave.)
Goodson Recreation Center (6315 S. University Blvd.)
The Lone Tree Hub (8827 Lone Tree Pkwy.)
South Suburban Golf Course (7900 S. Colorado Blvd.)

The call for candidates closes on Friday, February 28, 2020 Minimize

A candidate must be an active registered voter in Colorado; AND EITHER:
A resident of the South Suburban Park and Recreation District; OR
The owner (or spouse/civil union partner of owner) of taxable real or personal property situated within the boundaries of the District; or
A person who is obligated to pay taxes under a contract to purchase taxable property within the District.

Interested? You can pick up a Self-Nomination and Acceptance form and informational packet from Jennifer King, Designated Election Official at South Suburban Park and Recreation District, 6115 S. University Blvd., Centennial, CO or by calling 303.483.7011, Mon - Fri., 8 am - 5 pm. The Self-Nomination and Acceptance form must be filed with the Designated Election Official before 5 pm on February 28, 2020.

Voter Eligibility FAQ Minimize

Unsure if you're eligible to vote on board candidates or ballot questions related to the South Suburban Park and Recreation District? Below are answers to frequently asked questions about District voting eligibility.

Am I an eligible voter of the South Suburban Park and Recreation District?
An eligible elector of South Suburban Park and Recreation District is:

  • A registered voter in the State of Colorado; AND EITHER
  • A resident of the District; OR
  • A person who owns taxable real or personal property (or the spouse or civil union partner of a person who owns property) situated within the boundaries of the District. A person who is obligated to pay taxes under a contract to purchase taxable property within the District shall be considered an owner of taxable property for the purpose of qualifying as an elector.

How can I check on my State voter registration status, if I'm a District resident, and how to register to vote?
Check with your County Clerk & Recorder:

You can also check your registration status and District resident information on your voter record on the Secretary of State's database at:

How do I know if my real or personal property is taxed by the District?
Check with your County Assessor and/or check your most current tax notice.

Please note: Only property owners who are natural persons can vote.

How can I apply for a permanent absentee voter status for future polling place elections?
Please open and print a request form. The form needs to be completely filled out, signed, and the permanent absentee status box checked. Either mail the original form to the South Suburban Administration Building, 6631 South University Boulevard, Centennial, CO 80121 or forward a scan by fax or email: fax 303.798.3030, or attach to an email to, Subject line: Election Absentee Ballot Request

Can't print the form? Need more help? Please call 303.483.7011 for assistance.

I was on the mail-in voter list previously maintained by my county clerk several years ago. Will I receive a mail ballot automatically for South Suburban's regular elections?
Changes in the State election law eliminated the permanent mail-in voter list maintained by the counties' clerk & recorder offices. Starting with the May 2014 election, we are maintaining our own list.

If you would like an absentee ballot from South Suburban, please fill in and return the  absentee ballot request form.

Per state law, Colorado special districts also deliver paper ballots to eligible voters with Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) status.

Other questions?
Call South Suburban during our regular business hours (Mon - Fri, 8 am - 5 pm) at 303.483.7011.

General Election FAQ Minimize

Interested in learning about the District's elections? Below are a few frequently asked questions.

Why are District elections held?
South Suburban Park and Recreation District holds its regular elections every two years, to choose members for the five-person Board of Directors. On occasion, these elections, or special elections, could include ballot questions related to the Colorado Taxpayer Bill of Rights (TABOR).

When does the District hold regular elections?
Regular elections occur in the May of even-numbered years. They are typically polling place elections.  Beginning May 2023, all District regular elections will be held every two years.

Other questions? 
Call South Suburban during our regular business hours (Mon - Fri, 8 am - 5 pm) at 303.483.7011.

Important Information

Applications for absentee ballots for the May 5 election may be requested and  accepted through 5 pm on Tuesday, April 28, 2020.

South Suburban Candidate Q&A
Interested in becoming a board member for South Suburban Parks and Recreation?
Attend our candidate question and answer session on Wednesday, Feb. 5, at 5:30 p.m.
at the Administrative Building (6631 South University Boulevard, Centennial, CO 80121).

For more about the May 5 election, contact Jennifer King at 303.483.7011.

Election News

Media Release - South Suburban Board of Directors calls for a regular district election

Media Release - South Suburban Parks and Recreation calls for nominations to fill director positions